Wednesday, June 22, 2011

BLOCKHEADS, 322 West 50th Street, New York, NY (212) 307-7029‎ · blockheads.com






I went to Blockheads last night in Hells Kitchen with friends, after 0 of the 6 of us in our group got lottery tickets for The Book of Mormon on Broadway.

There are a few locations throughout the city, so I thought I'd start here. It's cheap Mexican food and Margaritas, a very casual, low-key, paper napkins and plastic-wear sort of place.



Do Not come here for the best Mexican food or best service you've ever had, come for a home-cooked style meal, basic ingredients, nothing fancy, and come to enjoy the ambiance of sitting outside in the Theatre District where you can drink $4 Frozen Margaritas.


SPECIAL NOTE: If you come during the week, you shouldn't have to wait too long if at all, but anytime right before the theater-district shows begin 5-8pm is crazy, and on the weekends, expect to wait up to 2 hours to be seated!

Best time to visit: Lunch on Weekdays

Drinks: We started with Margaritas. I had the basic $4 Frozen Margarita they are famous for, and it definitely does the job. My only complaint was that I asked for salt ( I ALWAYS ask for salt) and it did not make it to my cup.
My husband Chris, had a very fancy (albeit, girly) drink called the Pink Bulldog, which was comprised of Frozen Pink Lemonade Vodka, White Sangria, and topped with an upside-down Coronita (a mini Corona). One of our friends got lucky, and a pigeon pooped in his margarita! haha. The manager was very nice and prompt about replacing it. Ah, the risks of eating outdoors in New York City!




Starters: We asked for their Guacamole, which was a good size for the price, and definitely yummy. It was creamier, not so hearty, but it had fresh diced tomatoes and cilantro. The salsa was weak, not much flavor and definitely came out of a "jug-o-salsa", but the chips are fair.


Entrees:
My friend and future blog-contributor, Jenn Nelson and I shared the Taco Plate which comes with two Tacos with your choice of filling, beans and rice, sour cream on the side. My biggest disappointment came when they told me that they don't put their shredded beef in their tacos anymore!!
That was my favorite dish! WHAT?!
Okay, phew, glad I got that out of my system.
We got chicken instead, which had been seasoned with something very good, so I was not disappointed with the Tacos after all. They pack them high with lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes, and they are delicious, and I'm so glad we shared because one taco was plenty!



Chris got the HUGE Burrito (they specialize in Burritos) and as you can see from the picture, they are enormous and LOADED with good stuff. He loved it and his tummy approved.


Basic? Definitely. Worth the money you pay? For sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment